Close your eyes and think of Yunnan. What do you see? Epic scenery? Ancient towns? Incredible food? Check, check and check – plus absolutely loads more. This single province is larger than many European countries and is famous for its incredibly diverse landscapes and peoples. Our week–long journey is full of surprises, makes use of excellent local boutique hotels and comes with a fully dedicated driver and expert guide, a sophisticated polyglot who has spent years exploring the region. You’ll start in Dali for some cultural context: this small city has a long history as a center of power and boasts perfectly-preserved architecture plus the chance to village-hop along the banks of Erhai Lake. Your next stop, Shaxi, is a sleepy former market town on the Tea Horse Caravan Road with buckets of rural charm. A surprisingly vibrant culinary scene here also highlights the excellent fresh ingredients available. Our final destination, Shangri-la, takes us to the fringes of Tibet where the imposing Songzanling Monastery offers the chance to chat with a senior monk and enjoy wild rambles through the area’s rugged scenery.
Arrive in Dali, meet your guide and transfer to your hotel. Afternoon coffee to orientate you, go over the itinerary etc.
Spend the day hopping around Erhai Lake, visiting the fascinating minority villages on its banks and several small temples.
Lunch at a local eatery on the lake serving fresh produce.
Returning to Dali in the afternoon to explore the old city and visit local artisanal workshops making copper and woodwork, and traditional and contemporary art.
- The moment you stand atop the pass overlooking Abudje lake - it's heart-stoppingly beautiful
- The thrill of sitting down to a candlelit meal in a bell tent beneath the stars with no one - no one - else around. Just magical.
- Knowing that you're following in the footsteps of the world's most intrepid. This is off the beaten path in the extreme
- The numerous moments of gratitude and stillness. You'll be filled with wonder daily.
THE BESPOKE DIFFERENCE
- Efficient, reliable and down-to-earth service at all stages of your trip
- Only the most experienced guides and best accommodation hand picked for all of our tours
- 10 years of experience touring clients around China
- Conde Nast Traveler China Specialists 2020
- Accommodation (incl. breakfast) in boutique hotels throughout
- The same expert guide throughout your trip
- All transportation and transfers