Ah, that elusive Chinese wilderness. In a nation of over a billion, many of us seek it but few ever get to properly experience it. Well, what if we told you we could send you on a four-day hike as part of a Tibetan ‘caravan’ that snakes its way past clear lakes, through pristine pine forests and over high-mountain passes in Yunnan? Your local Tibetan team will pack up everything that’s needed and you’ll set off from a base near Shangri-la to trek though areas in which you’re unlikely to encounter anyone other than the odd nomadic Tibetan family and the birds tweeting in the trees. And, whilst such an expedition might not typically be considered luxurious, this particular adventure has been seriously amped up with accommodation in beautiful bell tents set up by your team in a different campsite each night. After a long day of trekking, enjoy an al fresco drink before sitting down to a candlelit dinner carefully prepared by a chef using unique local ingredients. Honestly, the word ‘glamping’ doesn’t even do it justice – this is an all-out epic journey through China’s most romantically rugged region in the hands of expert guides that will never be forgotten.
You’ll be picked up from your hotel in Shangri-La in the afternoon and driven to a beautiful farm in Zuomogu village, from where the horse caravan will set off. You’ll trek alongside the horses and your guides across the Ringha valley until reaching the first pass at 3,790m, with direct views of magestic Mount Sikha. Then it’s time to set up camp in the Monk Grassland at 3,690 m, enjoy an apertif and dinner cooked by your chef!
Rise early and enjoy a breakfast of Tibetan bread with butter, jam, muesli, milk and yogurt before setting off to hike two passes and take in the views of the Yading Mountain Range. The expedition trail passes through fragrant forests filled with rare larch, fir and rhododendron. Then it’s time to set up camp again on the Muet Grassland at 3,750m and settle in for a night under the stars.
- The moment you stand atop the pass overlooking Abudje lake - it's heart-stoppingly beautiful
- The thrill of sitting down to a candlelit meal in a bell tent beneath the stars with no one - no one - else around. Just magical.
- Knowing that you're following in the footsteps of the world's most intrepid. This is off the beaten path in the extreme
- The numerous moments of gratitude and stillness. You'll be filled with wonder daily.
THE BESPOKE DIFFERENCE
- Efficient, reliable and down-to-earth service at all stages of your trip
- Only the most reliable guides and accommodation hand picked for all of our tours
- 10 years of experience touring clients around China
- Conde Nast Traveler China Specialists 2020
- Accommodation in luxury (private) or standard (shared) bell tents throughout the expedition
- All meals (breakfast, lunch, dinner, picnics, afternoon tea) including French wine
- Local Tibetan guides, a private chef, and at least one foreign guide throughout
- Vehicle transfers from Shangri-La Old town